The objective of Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center (PSRC) is to enhance the standing of Tehran University of Medical Sciences in the academic circles, both domestically and internationally, through conducting basic and applied research in various branches of pharmaceutical sciences. The activities of the center are also aimed at meeting the pharmaceutical requirements, both at home and abroad, in such aspects as innovation, production and transfer of technological know-how, and at promoting the community health.
- To carry out and direct basic and applied research in various branches of pharmaceutical sciences.
- To provide facilities and a suitable environment to attract young and talented researchers to basic and applied research projects.
- To direct and promote research activities, in terms of quantity and quality.
- To establish a center for academic exchanges between pharmaceutical science researchers at national and international levels, through congresses and scientific publications.
- To participate in education of research staff in the field of pharmaceutical sciences.
- To encourage the partnership of the beneficiaries of research in pharmaceutical sciences, including the industry and the private sector.
- To protect the human dignity and the Islamic values.
- To observe the ethical code in research activities.
- To safeguard the national resources.
- To attract the outstanding and young researchers, and to curb the brain drain.
- Facilitated executive and control mechanisms in research activities.
- Availability of talented and bright students interested in research.
- Availability of students of pharmaceutical sciences (general and specialized courses).
- Laboratory, instrumental and physical facilities and human resources.
- Availability of scientific sources and computer facilities.
- Capability of rendering pharmaceutical services to the industry.
- Capability of rendering consultation services to the policy making centers.
- Capability of developing technical know-how in various branches of pharmaceutical sciences.
- Availability of related research centers.
- Availability of distinguished scholars in pharmaceutical sciences.
- Insufficient research funds.
- Shortage of technical and laboratory staff.
- Inadequate cooperation between the faculty staff.
- Poor international communications.
- Legal shortcomings regarding the admission of foreign students.
- Poor logistical system.
- Economic problems of the researchers and the staff.
- Geographic situation (centrality)
- Neighborhood of related industries.
- Availability of a research network and other research centers.
- Availability of distinguished researches.
- Positions held by the members of PSRCin decision making, policymaking and service providing centers, and in the industry.
- The presence of the graduates of the Faculty of Pharmacy in other scientific and research centers.
- Academic credibility at home and abroad.
- International communications.
- Diversity of the country's natural resources.
- Interest of investors in pharmaceutics.
- Significance of pharmaceutics in providing health.
- Community contacts and contributions.
- Professional and academic pharmaceutical associations.
- Communication with other medical disciplines.
- Communication with other research centers.
- Disorganized funds.
- Exclusive, outdated and inefficient regulations.
- Disharmony between research activities and community needs.
- Disorganized research in pharmaceutical industry and reluctance in establishing research relations.
- Scientific and technological gap.
- Lack of clarity in macro-planning of health and pharmaceutical system.
- Abnormality in the country's foreign relations.
- Brain drain.
- Regional crises.
- Lack of regional and international relations in pharmaceutical science research.
8. General Goals
- Promoting the scope of knowledge in pharmaceutical sciences.
- Meeting the local requirements through conducting research.
- Enhancing the status of the University in pharmaceutical research.
- Educating researchers in various branches of pharmaceutical sciences.
9. Specific Goals
9-1) Promoting the scope of knowledge in pharmaceutical sciences;
- Reinforcing the research capability of the faculty staff.
- Employing the students in research projects
- Expanding the national and international communications.
9-2) Meeting the local requirements through conducting research;
- Prioritizing the research activities on the basis of needs.
- Supporting the applied research.
- Close cooperation with overseas pharmaceutical units.
- Providing the research institutes, pharmaceutical, sanitary and food industries with scientific services.
9-3) Enhancing the status of the University in pharmaceutical research;
- Setting up research units at the center.
- Assessing the quality of research projects.
- Cooperating with ethical committees at the University.
- Proposing research projects to all related researchers.
- Reinforcing interdisciplinary cooperation, particularly in basic and clinical sciences.
- Offering special support to distinguished researchers.
- Attaching the appropriate importance to the publishing of research findings and encouraging the publication of scientific articles in accredited international journals.
9-4) Educating researchers in various branches of pharmaceutical sciences;
- Providing short-term research and study opportunities.
- Organizing specialized workshops on the basis of existing needs.
- Consolidating the research activities through educating the research methodology and scientific essay writing.
- Conducting basic research projects in line with the development of knowledge in pharmaceutical sciences and associated disciplines, towards achieving more advanced scientific horizons, improving the scientific capabilities and responding to the community needs.
- Conducting research projects for identifying, isolating, purifying and specifying the structure of natural substances and studying their pharmacotoxicologic effects, and manufacturing new natural-based products.
- Conducting research projects for rational drug prescription and consumption, reforming the structure of prescribing and dispensing, rationalizing the pharmaceutical-medical system as well as the medicines and poisons information dissemination systems, and clinical monitoring of medicines at hospital wards and outpatients clinics, with collaboration of physicians.
- Conducting research projects for the synthesis of pharmaceutical raw materials, using the structure-effect relations, and determining their pharmacotoxicologic characteristics towards designing more effective and more specific medicines with less side effects.
- Conducting research projects for determining the quality of pharmaceutical raw materials and products (both natural and synthetic) in order to achieve modern techniques of analyzing these materials in pharmaceutical and biological products.
- Conducting research projects in relation to modern techniques of analyzing foods, beverages and diets, food-drug interactions and the like.
- Conducting research projects in modern methods of measurement of drug concentrations in biological fluids, and drug bioequivalency and bioavailability.
- Research projects in fermentation and production of biological and pharmaceutical products from bacteria, yeast and mammalian cells, development and production of pharmaceutical and biological enzymes, newly synthesized medicines, monoclonal or multiclonal biological substances, and formulation of proteinic and peptide medicines.
- Research projects in relation to new methods of formulation, manufacture and marketing of medicines, in particular nanotechnology.
- Research projects in relation to pharmaceutical system, including pharmaceutical policy-making, the content and educational system of university programs of pharmacy, pharmacoepidemiology and pharmacoeconomy, community pharmacy, traditional and additional medicine and pharmaceutical rules.
- Conducting research projects in basic and clinical pharmacology and toxicology in order to find out the mechanisms and characteristics of drugs and poisons and to study their therapeutic and side effects.
- Offering scientific, technical and consultation services to academic and research institutes, and pharmaceutical, sanitary and food industries, in line with PSRC's objectives, and helping to solve the problems of industries in relation to analysis of pharmaceutical and natural products, synthesis of required products, control methods, bioequivalency and bioavailability, and experimental and clinical pharmacology and toxicology.
- Training research staff in pharmaceutical sciences, and encouraging and employing the researchers.
- Cooperating with other domestic and foreign research and executive centers.
11. Research Policy
While emphasizing on such values as creativity, innovation, teamwork, and observance of ethical code of research activities, the research priorities of PSRC in basic and applied domains are:
- Development of new, effective and safe drugs, and study of (studying) their physicochemical and biological effects.
- Development of new systems of drug administration, in particular nanotechnology.
- Improvement of quality of pharmaceutical raw materials and products (both natural and synthetic), and modern techniques of their analysis in pharmaceutical and biological products.
- Paying attention to biotechnology, medicinal herbs, and traditional and additional medicine.
- Industrial production of pharmaceutical raw materials with collaboration of pharmaceutical industries.
- Improvement of pharmaceutical monitoring, and rational drug prescription and consumption.